The hike to High Shoals Falls is one of the most scenic in western North Carolina. It& 39;s located in South Mountains State Park, south of Morganton (about 70 miles east of Asheville). You have two options: hike one mile to the 60-foot waterfall and return (for two miles total). Or hike the 2.7-mile loop which includes a short section of stair climbing.
1. As Alaskan ski resorts go, Alyeska is 3 on my list.2. I took the People Mover to work today.3. Denali is such an eyesore on a clear day, right?4. I’m pretty sure I’ve done all the hikes around here.5. My summer job isn’t in tourism this year.6. When you car starts to slide on the ice, just slam on the breaks, trust me.
April 25-26, 2020November 7-8, 2020Meander through the scenic mountain valleys to visit 50+ artists in their studios and galleries. Get the tour map and drive country roads to visit as many of the studios as you want. It& 39;s a completely self-guided, make-your-own-agenda event in the towns of Weaverville and Barnardsville, along with the surrounding rural areas.
1. You had your first coffee before you were 5 years old.Your mom would mix it with extra milk so it wouldn’t taste so strong. She’s the reason you developed an addiction to it and now drink at least 3 cups a day.2. You don’t refer to someone as a person, you say “mae.”‘Mae’ is everyone and anyone, feminine or masculine (esa mae or ese mae).
1. Ask about Kosovo.If you want to piss off a Serbian quickly and irrevocably, just casually raise the question over the region’s independence. This matter is not something to be taken lightly. When it comes to Kosovo; our nation is divided between ‘Kosovo is Serbia forever’ people, ‘Can we just forget about it and get on with our lives’ people and those who actually lost someone in the riots.
1. He’ll win you over with his folksy charm.At one end, southerners may have the stigma of being labeled as unsophisticated, uneducated rubes. But even these good ol’ boys are portrayed with a certain kind of sex appeal only someone from a red state can pull off: opening doors for the ladies, making you swoon with our charming accents.
Editor’s note: A rising star on both Instagram and Snapchat, Shea Powell is the travel blogger behind The World Up Closer. We met last month on a one-mile-long island in Belize — she’s got a big, bright smile, a super-keen eye and a knack for capturing a place’s essence. Instagram: @theworldupcloser 1.
1. The storytellingI can’t help it — the minute I step off the plane, I start rambling off all sorts of stories about my latest experience. They usually start off in the same way, from most influential/amazing, like seeing the Northern Lights in person, to less exciting, like how many times I had to use the bathroom after eating my first curry in Bangalore.
For a scenic drive and a unique hike through a long tunnel, head to the Lake View Drive, known more commonly as the & 34;Road to Nowhere& 34;, in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. At the end of the six-mile winding road through the forest, find a network of hiking trails. A 3.2-mile loop option starts with a walk through a 1,200-foot tunnel built for a scenic drive that was never completed.
1. You pronounce words correctly.Hawaiian is actually quite easy to pronounce, as words are spelled as they are spoken. You know it’s “Ho-no-lu-lu,” not “ha-na-loo-loo.” And that little apostrophe is called an ‘okina — a glottal stop. So it’s “Oh-ah-hu,” not “Owahoo.”2. You know how to properly weave a lei.
SylvaHome to NC& 39;s most photographed courthouse, perched on a hill overlooking the busy historic Main Street with fantastic restaurants, breweries, general store, shops and festivals. Film location for 3 Billboards Outside Ebbing. Home of Fly Fishing Trail too.Bryson CityFind much to do! Ride the train on the Great Smoky Mountains Railroad before you explore their downtown shops and galleries, or paddleboard down the river.
This 1.5-mile loop trail in Chimney Rock State Park takes you to the boulder fields and base of the cliffs of Rumbling Bald Mountain that towers over Lake Lure. The large parking area is about two miles from the main Chimney Rock Park entrance (so there& 39;s no admission fee here). It& 39;s also a favorite rock climbing location.